Drug rehab takes commitment, and few would argue otherwise. It’s a long, challenging process, which requires impeccable addiction treatment services to help ensure success. For this reason, it’s imperative to find the best drug rehab center Huntington WV, or your own location, has to offer. Having provided services for drug and alcohol rehab in West Virginia for years, we at Harmony Ridge Recovery understand this need deeply – and our peers and industry.
Whether you seek rehab for yourself or a loved one, there are many criteria you should keep in mind. So, here we’d like to outline the most crucial ones to help you make an informed choice.
Finding the right rehab, and why it matters
For one, the rehab industry has seen significant bloat in recent years. Market Research found there were over 15,000 treatment facilities in the US in 2020, and the industry still grows. That alone presents such an abundance of options that one may leave the choice to chance. While understandable, we cannot emphasize enough just how important this decision can be.
To illustrate this, let us briefly outline three main factors.
Unique rehab needs
First and foremost, each case of a Substance Use Disorder (SUD) will differ from the next. This isn’t a simple truism, but a demonstrable reality of rehab – as case management will quickly reveal. Rehab centers differ significantly in what they offer and specialize in, impacting how well each can cater to each case.
Shady treatment providers’ practices
Second, as little as it flatters our industry, said bloat gives rise to shady providers and establishments. While we haven’t found it to affect drug rehab Huntington WV offers, it’s quite the widespread issue across the country. NPR finds the industry faces a “severe ethical crisis”, including:
- Aggressive marketing tactics
- Inflated prices
- Substandard services with little oversight
As such, “it’s a very hard system to navigate,” as Ryan Hampton says above.
Finally, relapse rates for most SUDs remain unfortunately high. NIDA studies find that 40-60% of those who receive treatment relapse, stressing the need for thorough relapse prevention strategies. These, however, heavily rely on addiction treatment providers’ offerings, case management, and, ultimately, professionalism and dedication. Failing to meet a case’s unique underlying needs or plan ahead can only exacerbate this notable challenge.
#1 Examine the programs they offer
With the above in mind, first among your criteria should be the exact programs of your candidates. This is one of the most substantive differences among providers, as not all offer, or specialize in, the same ones.
For example, alcohol rehab centers in WV will typically offer more, and more quality, options for sober living homes. In contrast, behavioral health centers may come with a stronger focus on psychotherapy, but not offer inpatient programs.
The first step for all but the mildest cases, medical detox is typically required to begin the journey to recovery. Virtually every drug rehab center Huntington WV offers has this option, but it’s not a universally guaranteed service.
Medical detox allows the body to flush out harmful toxins, as it begins to abstain from the substance. This phase typically accompanies withdrawal symptoms and intense cravings, among other case-dependent symptoms. For this reason, such programs isolate the individual in a safe clinical environment, where they can receive continuous support. In cases of dual diagnosis, it also entails psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy as needed – which should inform subsequent programs.
If you know you need it, or receive an evaluation that you do, consider the following:
- Do your candidates offer medical detox services?
- Do they use FDA-approved drugs?
- Have they implemented safeguards, like consistent medical supervision and support, to ensure success?
The next step for many cases comes in residential or inpatient programs. There are ample options for inpatient drug rehab in WV and beyond, but these too are not guaranteed. Behavioral health centers may not offer such programs, most notably, but also ones that lack suitable clinical facilities.
Inpatient programs entail clinical care, as the individual stays in designated clinical facilities. They’re necessary for many moderate and most severe cases, as those tend to require continued medical care and supervision. This phase serves many purposes, as every drug rehab center Huntington WV offers will attest to. So here consider such case-specific offerings as:
- Do your candidates offer inpatient programs?
- Are these programs personalized to suit each case’s needs?
- Do they entail thorough case management, from psychotherapy to pharmacotherapy, as needed?
- Do they focus on individual therapy, as is appropriate for this phase?
- Is their staff qualified and proficient in the services the programs offer?
The next standard step of recovery comes in outpatient programs. Due to their appeal, flexibility, and applicability, they are largely a rehab staple. Still, an intensive outpatient program West Virginia offers will differ significantly from, say, an outpatient program in New York.
Outpatient programs come in two main variants; outpatient programs, which give this program type its name and offer a moderate level of care, and intensive outpatient programs, which offer the intensive care for drug rehab Huntington WV is known for. This is a fundamental distinction to make all in itself.
Their variations aside, outpatient programs signal a near-end to the need for medical care. The individual leaves clinical settings entirely and can now live at home. The programs now focus on group therapy and behavioral therapy, and begin preparing the individual to resume their life. As such, you can consider whether:
- Your candidates offer both variants depending on each case’s needs
- Their programs feature a focus on therapy, as is appropriate for this phase
- Their therapies and therapeutic practices are varied, interdisciplinary, and evidence-based
Sober living homes
Finally come sober living homes. Despite what the name might suggest, such programs see use beyond Alcohol Use Disorders (AUDs). Sober living WV programs also serve different purposes for different recovery stages, so they warrant attention as well.
In brief, sober living homes can serve as a fundamental safeguard against relapse. They allow the individual to stay at designated residences among their recovering peers, leveraging socialization as an abstinence maintenance tool. For this reason, they can typically serve as either an immediate final phase of recovery or as a continued step of aftercare treatment.
Depending on the facilities and programs, sober living homes can also offer housing to individuals released from incarceration. This is amplified by the fact that sober living can last for as long as 18 months or more. As above, not every alcohol rehab center Huntington WV offers will have this option – but most typically will.
Should you need or appreciate the option of sober living, consider:
- Whether your candidates offer sober living programs at all
- How they integrate such programs into the broader recovery process, and whether they offer additional care during sober living
- Whether they’ve had prior success with such programs through experience in the field
#2 Consider the programs’ duration and cost
Programs themselves aside, and before considering addictions treated or therapies offered, here we must touch on program durations and costs. Not only is this crucial to determining which treatment providers are right for you, but these factors often come with some red flags to avoid.
First, rehab programs have set durations. These are not set in stone, of course, nor should they be; rehab should last as long as is necessary. However, treatment providers should provide a rough timeline for each program type to help you know what to expect. In this regard, we’re thankful that drug rehab Huntington WV providers tend to do so.
- Medical detox can last between nearly one and two weeks – typically five to seven days
- Inpatient programs should last between one and three months, unless otherwise needed
- Intensive outpatient programs vary in duration, but tend to last between one and four months
- Sober living stays vary the most, but should last for at least three months – extending to 18 or more
Rehab duration can and should differ to best meet each case’s needs, as identified by drug and alcohol assessments. However, if your candidates don’t offer any average timelines, that may be a warning sign to steer clear.
Cost; initial costs and insurance coverage
Second come costs, which we deeply understand are prohibitive for many. To refer back to the NPR article we cited above, the industry does face an ethical crisis. Inflated prices are not uncommon, especially when providers overcharge for amenities that don’t meaningfully aid in recovery.
While costs differ significantly across providers and states, DrugHelpline provides a rough estimate:
- Drug Detox (30 days): $240–$850 per day
- Residential Treatment (duration varies): $5,100–$80,000
- Intensive Outpatient (30 days): $3,100–$10,000
- Outpatient Care (3 months): $1,450–$10,000
These will of course not reflect average final costs. For one, the average alcohol rehab center Huntington WV offers will not offer the same services as, or price them equally to, those of a behavioral therapy center across the country. And second, rehab insurance coverage can vary very significantly, affecting final costs. Ideally, your candidates should at least accept the four major health insurance providers:
It may not be a deal-breaker if they don’t, but it may raise some red flags too. Ideally, and to the best of your ability, you should ensure that:
- Your candidates accept your health insurance provider, if not all major ones
- Their prices somewhat reflect the quality of their services
- Their representatives are clear and upfront about costs, and offer to help you explore financing options
#3 Explore the addictions treated
Next, you may also want to explore the addictions your candidates treat. Needless to say, perhaps, but each type of addiction requires a different approach and a different focus. For example, benzo addiction treatment may require medical detox, whereas marijuana addiction might not. Put differently, you should ensure your candidates’ services match the types of SUDs they treat.
The main services for drug rehab Huntington WV providers offer, as do their peers across the country, cater to:
- Alcohol rehab
- Cocaine rehab
- Stimulants rehab
- Heroin rehab
- Marijuana rehab
- Opiate rehab
- Meth rehab
- Fentanyl rehab
- Ambien rehab
- Barbiturates rehab
You should naturally make sure your candidates treat the exact addiction type you or your loved ones are dealing with. However, exploring their services for other SUDs should help outline the scope of their services, their professionalism, and their focus.
#4 Go through the behavioral therapies they offer
Finally, you should carefully examine the behavioral therapies your candidates use. A crucial component of psychotherapy, in both individual and group settings, behavioral therapies are addiction treatment staples. They have proven their effectiveness manifold, and can see use in most types of addiction regardless of case severity.
The three main types of behavioral therapy your candidates should offer are:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). The most widespread and efficient type of behavioral therapy, with its roots in the beginnings of the psychotherapy field. A proper CBT treatment plan for substance abuse can help facilitate recovery like few other methods.
- Dialectic Behavior Therapy (DBT). Another prominent type of psychotherapy, with demonstrable effectiveness in dealing with dual diagnoses. Dialectical behavior therapy for addiction is a staple for alcohol rehab Huntington WV providers, as its popularity grows.
- Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT). A type of therapy which combines principles of cognitive and behavioral therapies, REBT treatment has also continued to prove its efficiency. This type seeks to replace irrational and negative thought patterns with positive ones, also facilitating successful recoveries.
Harmony Ridge is the drug rehab center Huntington WV trusts
As you can see, choosing the right rehab for yourself or a loved one can present challenges. For one, an abundance of options may make deciding harder. The industry also faces its own crisis, as shady providers may offer substandard services to make a profit. Finally, above all else, each case of addiction comes with its own unique needs.
At Harmony Ridge Recovery, we have served our local communities of Huntington WV for years. We are keenly aware of the complexity of addiction, and are fully equipped to meet virtually every case’s needs. We hope our track record speaks for itself, but you’re more than welcome to contact us to confirm we’re the right choice for you. Our teams are available 24/7, and will answer all your questions discreetly and professionally. Give us a call, and together we’ll craft the journey to recovery that’s just right for you.