Dialectical Behavior Therapy
A lot of effort has been made in the past decade to bring more focus to mental health in order to help patients overcome addiction once and for all. Thanks to Dialectical Behavior Therapy for addiction, the approach to addiction treatment has evolved. Here at Harmony Ridge Recovery Center, we put a lot of emphasis on co-occurring mental health symptoms that interlink with the addiction problem. Through precise diagnosis, adequate pharmacotherapy, and custom-tailored rehab plan, we treat various kinds of addiction disorders and help patients transform their lives for the better.
Harmony Ridge Recovery Center will provide you with an environment and staff to help steer you on a successful path to a lifetime of sobriety. Our campus is located on 50 acres in the beautiful state of West Virginia. We strive to project an overall sense of healing with a focus on evidence-based addiction treatment. As one of the most prominent drug and alcohol treatment centers in West Virginia, we prioritize your mental and physical health from the moment you begin the admission process. Our facility can provide you with what you need to make improvements in both.
What is Dialectical Behavior Therapy?
Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) is one of the most commonly used therapy treatment methods for drug addiction. Those who are dealing with substance use disorders use DBT skills to understand and improve their negative thoughts/behaviors. DBT for substance abuse treatment allows those dealing with addiction to learn coping skills and techniques to avoid relapse and triggers down the line.
DBT was developed by psychologist Marsha M. Linehan in the late 1980s. Initially used in the treatment of borderline personality disorder, dialectical behavior therapy made a huge impact on both psychological and addiction science. Another name for psychotherapy is “talk therapy.” Talk therapy is the focus of our treatment programs here at Harmony Ridge Recovery Center. As a clinical practice, DBT for substance abuse treatment has been a trademark of many rehab centers. This is because it has helped with many personality disorders. It also promotes positive communication skills, behavioral skills, attachment strategies, and healthy ways of coping with addiction triggers.
The struggle for someone who is undergoing treatment with dialectical behavior therapy is one of balancing self-acceptance and the need for change. Those who typically have a wide range of emotions when dealing with intense situations see the world in only black and white, and those who thrive on always having or creating crises in their own lives may benefit from this form of therapy. DBT for substance abuse treatment provides rehab patients with coping mechanisms that they can apply when they experience extreme reactions.
How Does DBT Work?
The goal of Dialectical Behavior Therapy for addiction treatment is to help people build coping skills and confidence. These skills will ultimately help people better handle stressful circumstances by using different approaches. Validation encourages the benefits that occur when a person makes changes in he or she handles stressful situations. Validation enables the idea of making changes easier.
The typical structure of dialectical behavioral therapy includes therapy sessions where you not only work one-on-one with your therapist but also attend group therapy sessions. Both of these forms of therapy will help you build confidence. These therapy sessions will also provide you with the skills to regulate your emotional state. In the individual DBT therapy sessions, discussions focus on the events of the prior week and how situations were handled. The goal is to teach you how to manage your emotional reactions to situations.
During group therapy sessions, you will share your own experiences with your peers as well as learn from their experiences. This creates a system of checks and balances to help you feel accountable for your actions. Dialectical Behavior Therapy for addiction has been proven to be effective and can be found in almost all addiction treatment centers.
Segments of Dialectical Behavior Therapy
Treatment of those in dialectical behavior therapy includes the following steps:
- Individual psychotherapy is conducted to help you look at your goals and steer you on a path so you can reach those goals. A change in your behavior may be necessary. Your therapist will encourage you and keep you motivated to remain in therapy.
- Group skills training focuses on acquiring skillful behavior. These sessions allow you to learn from the experiences of the others in your group.
- Phone coaching plays an important role in DBT. It provides you with a resource so you can receive coaching from your therapist outside of the one-on-one and group skills training sessions. This coaching provides in-the-moment advice with a focus on lessening the stress of the situation at hand.
- Consultation teams for therapists give your therapist the support he/she needs to be able to supply you with the best treatment possible. This team may provide your therapist with a different perspective on your situation.
Skill Modules of Dialectical Behavior Therapy
While undergoing Dialectical Behavior Therapy, you’ll be taught four behavioral skill modules.
- Mindfulness encourages you to be present “at the moment.”
- Distress tolerance teaches you how to endure the pain of your situation and how to manage that pain effectively rather than change the pain.
- Interpersonal effectiveness provides you with the skills that allow you to express what you want, how to be strong and able to say “no” while maintaining your self-respect and the respect of others.
- Emotion regulation supplies you with the ability to recognize your emotions so that you can identify and adjust them according to the situation.
Benefits of Dialectical Behavior Therapy
Dialectical behavior therapy sessions provide many beneficial strategies. These therapy sessions encourage the management of emotions that, prior to therapy, were out of control and may have led to unhealthy choices. Emotion management is crucial for individuals who suffer from substance use disorders and mental health conditions in general.
DBT for substance abuse treatment teaches strategies that show you how to accept life and all of the emotions that surround everyday circumstances. You will learn how to cope in these situations as well as practice emotional regulation on a daily basis. You will also learn how to interact and use appropriate behavior with those around you so that you won’t succumb to abusing substances.
During DBT for substance abuse treatment, you will also learn to recognize your destructive behaviors and how to change your harmful thoughts, beliefs, and actions. Once you are able to identify your destructive behaviors, you can then learn how to replace those behaviors with ones that are healthier. Dialectical behavior therapy sessions will also teach you how to communicate successfully. Encouragement of your successes is a key component of DBT for substance abuse treatment, as well as learning new skills.
Stages of DBT for Substance Abuse Treatment
There are four stages of dialectical behavior therapy.
- Stage One: The patient has a behavior that is out of control and is very unhappy and unsettled. Self-destructive behaviors are commonplace in this stage of DBT. The goal of stage one of DBT is for the patient to obtain control of damaging behaviors.
- Stage Two: The behavior is under more control during this stage of DBT, but there is a lot of underlying distress that needs to be addressed. The goal of stage two of DBT for substance abuse treatment is to encourage the patient to understand their emotional state.
- Stage Three: The challenge of this stage is to find a state of mind that allows peace and happiness
- Stage Four: If this stage is needed, it involves the patient finding a deeper sense of overall mental well-being.
Can Dialectical Behavior Therapy Be a Treatment for Addiction?
Since the inception of dialectical behavior therapy, research has found that it is an effective treatment for disorders such as:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Eating disorders (bulimia disorder, anorexia nervosa, binge eating disorder)
- Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Substance dependency
For those who are struggling with mental illness, drug or alcohol addiction is a common addition. Rehabilitation centers such as Harmony Ridge Recovery Center have the staff and resources to assist you in treating your substance and mental health illnesses. Our therapy options and additional onsite activities aim to provide a deeper level of treatment.
Dialectical behavior therapy is becoming more commonly used in treating addiction. The core focus of increasing self-image, learning how to manage emotional situations, and how to have better communication with those around you are key in addiction treatment. The goal of using dialectical behavior therapy with those who are addicted to drugs or alcohol is to teach skills that make becoming and remaining sober easier.
Strategies Used During DBT for Substance Abuse Treatment
Strategies that are common in DBT for substance abuse treatment to promote sobriety are:
- Decreasing the use of drugs or alcohol.
- Diminishing the urge and cravings associated with drug or alcohol abuse.
- Discouraging drug or alcohol use by encouraging people to surround themselves with people. who lead healthy lifestyles and places that promote healthy atmospheres.
- Motivating one to remove the items from his or her life that encourage drug or alcohol use ( Ex: drug paraphernalia or even unhealthy relationships).
- Increasing your self-esteem to help you believe in yourself so that you can stay sober, even. when times are stressful or discouraging.
- Reducing the physical discomfort of withdrawal symptoms from drugs or alcohol.
Patients who participate in a rehab program involving DBT often opt for our sober living homes
Overcoming mental health struggles alongside addiction doesn’t come easy. It takes time for patients to transition slowly to healthier habits and mindsets. That’s why they often choose to stay in our sober living WV homes. Patients are obligated to live according to the schedule and fulfill the tasks. It gives them a sense of achievement and responsibility that gets lost due to years of addiction-driven lifestyle.
Treatment Options at Harmony Ridge
Choosing a substance addiction treatment center that provides dialectical behavior therapy is important. Our staff at Harmony Ridge Recovery Center will treat you or your loved ones with the respect that you deserve. We believe in creating an evidence-based substance abuse treatment WV plan that meets your specific needs.
We continue to provide support long after treatment at our facility is over. Our strong network of alumni and our career resources will be available and will continue with you on your journey to remain sober.
Ensure a smooth recovery process for you or your loved one
If you search among some of the best marijuana rehab West Virginia programs, treatments for hard drugs, and prescriptions, chances are you’ll come across Harmony Ridge. Our treatment center includes a lot more than medical assistance:
- We operate as one of the best inpatient drug rehab centers in West Virginia where patients receive continuous care 24/7.
- You can also choose partial hospitalization. Harmony Ridge is also one of the centers with the most effective intensive outpatient program West Virginia has on offer.
- All our patients receive a customized psychotherapy plan that helps them through each phase of rehab. Dialectical Behavioral Therapy is an integral tool we use for successful addiction treatment.
- Serene environment with kind staff that works in your best interest.
We implement DBT in severe cases of addiction to hard drugs and co-occurring mental illness
Harmony Ridge has evolved as a well-known meth rehab center West Virginia locals find trustworthy. When it comes to addiction to so-called hard drugs, a psychiatric assessment is of the utmost importance.
Heroin addiction isn’t an exception either. In case you or your loved one need an effective West Virginia heroin rehab program, look no further than Harmony Ridge. Using Dialectical Behavioral therapy, we successfully treat emotional and mental triggers, as well as psychological causes that led to the addiction-related behaviors in the first place.
In addition to all previously-mentioned treatments, we also offer a cocaine rehab West Virginia program involving DBT sessions.
DBT in combination with Fentanyl addiction treatment
Harmony Ridge is one of the Fentanyl rehab centers that utilize DBT in order to guide patients to long-term sobriety and a life marked by healthy choices. As a highly addictive substance, Fentanyl gives an extra boost to pre-existing mental health disorders that become difficult to manage once the addiction overtakes one’s life. That’s why our experts treat each pillar of addiction accordingly, thanks to proper pharmacotherapy and psychiatric treatment.
We also treat addictions to prescription drugs
Prescription drugs have been used as cheaper replacements for cocaine and heroin due to their calming or stimulating effects. Stimulants like Adderall or Ritalin are widely used by those who have a tendency to pull all-nighters or struggle to focus at work or school. According to various conducted studies, individuals resort to stimulants to cope with severe anxiety. While they provide a short-term confidence boost, stimulants exacerbate anxious episodes, disrupt sleep patterns, and increase heart rate. That said, it’s obvious why DBT has been utilized in stimulants rehab programs in various treatment centers – including Harmony Ridge.
Furthermore, benzodiazepine rehab centers also resort to DBT as a successful way to treat the psychological aspect of addiction in patients. Harmony Ridge isn’t an exception. Through this kind of treatment, we help patients face underlying problems they have been trying to numb with tranquilizers for too long.
Harmony Ridge is also an opiate rehab center to contact if you or someone close to you require immediate treatment for opioid addiction.
Our treatments for sedatives include DBT for substance abuse
Sedatives like Ambien are also used among people who have sleep issues. Research shows that addiction to sedatives is more likely to happen, especially among those who struggle to overcome trauma and have issues coping with daily stress. In order to provide adequate Ambien rehab, we incorporate DBT, tailored according to each patient individually.
You can also find an effective barbiturates rehab program at Harmony Ridge, and be assured your loved one or yourself will get nothing but the best treatment.
Let us know about your chosen insurance plan
We at Harmony Ridge accept several insurance coverage plans that make it easier to fund rehab for you or your dear person. Don’t hesitate to verify whether we accept the insurance plan before you apply for it. Our kind staff can provide you with guidance on all insurance options available at Harmony Ridge and help you with the admission process.
Contact Harmony Ridge Recovery Center today!
The treatment plans at Harmony Ridge Recovery Center offer an approach from staff who have faced the same real-world situations you may be living in today. Many of our staff have recovered from addiction themselves. Also, many have witnessed the effects of addiction on a family member. We would like to encourage you to take a step forward and contact us today. We are here to provide you with the type of care that you deserve in an environment that not only meets your needs but also exceeds your needs.