The most important thing that you need to bring to any rehab New Lexington OH center is the willingness to get better. However, there are also some worldly possessions that may make your time there just a bit easier. Of course, staying within any West Virginia treatment center
requires some basic supplies as well. However, you can’t bring just about anything with you. In this article, we are going to provide you with all the information on what you can bring, should bring, and what you might not want to bring with you.
Items you might want to bring to rehab New Lexington OH center
Before you arrive at any rehab center New Lexington OH has on offer, you will need to create a “survival kit” of sorts. Any necessities are, of course, allowed. As far as the necessities are concerned, there is some difference between rehab for seniors and rehab for young adults. Furthermore, the staff at the treatment center will go through your possessions and ensure that you don’t bring any prohibited items. The items that you can bring are broadly grouped into three categories:
- Recommended items
- Personal hygiene/beauty products
Additionally, every drug rehab new Lexington OH center has its own policies on what else you can bring. The items you are allowed to bring may also be influenced by your treatment program. For example, some of the drug rehab for young adults programs may allow you to carry your mobile phone with you. That being said, mobile phones are usually restricted throughout your stay.
Now, let’s take a closer look at the items you might want to bring with you.
While every drug rehab center New Lexington OH offers has its own rules and policies when it comes to items, most of them agree on the recommended items. These items include:
- List of names, phone numbers, and addresses of every person you might want to involve in your treatment process. You may want to include your primary care physician, family members, sponsors, loved ones, etc.
- Any jewelry that has a significant emotional value (wedding ring, watch, etc.). However, it is best if you can leave even those items at home, alongside any other valuables that you might have.
- Prescription medication. Note that any such medication needs to be in its original pharmacy bottle and that the information label must be intact. If you have any liquid medications, they must be brand new and sealed. Make sure that you bring a comprehensive list of all medications that you use, as well as their dosages.
- Some pocket cash. Around $50 to $100 is perfectly fine, as you will usually only spend money on vending machines, quick store runs, and similar.
- Form of identification. This can be your passport, driver’s license, personal ID, or anything else that can be used to identify you.
- Stamps, envelopes, notebooks, and journals. Even If you have no desire to mail letters or write down your thoughts, you might want to bring these items anyway. They can be extremely helpful during the treatment process.
- Alarm clock without a radio. Some treatment centers may already have these so you might want to check with them before you splurge for a new one.
If you are paying for your treatment medications, you might also want to bring your checkbook, debit card, or credit card. In some cases (such as veterans alcohol rehab) you might not need to pay for any medications, but it is always better to be safe.
Every single rehab New Lexington OH center has its own dress code. This means that the clothing you can bring might be severely restricted. Most treatment centers allow items such as T-shirts, cardigans, and jackets, provided that they do not have any emblems, messages, or anything that might cause discomfort printed on them. The reason for these restrictions is that some patients might be uncomfortable when looking at your clothing items. For example, someone that is going through motivational interviewing for substance abuse might have an issue seeing a “You only live once” message on a piece of clothing. Therefore, it is best to stick with blank and bland designs. You are not going to a fashion show, after all.
As for what clothing items you might want to bring, here’s a quick list:
- Comfortable shoes
- Shirts, including T-shirts
- Shorts of sufficient length to comply with the center’s dress code
- Bathing suit (trunks for men, one-piece suit for women)
- A coat and a jacket
You may also want to bring one or two formal outfits. Most drug rehab New Lexington OH centers include special events throughout the course of treatment and you might want to be at your best. This is not mandatory, of course, but if you don’t bring any such items you may come to regret it. Even if you are simply staying within a marijuana rehab center for a few days, you never know when any such event might occur. It is always best to be prepared, after all.
Personal hygiene/beauty products
Most of the time, all alcohol rehab New Lexington OH centers will allow you to bring any necessary personal hygiene/beauty products with you. Provided that they do not contain any traces of alcohol, of course. Some centers may lower the requirement and allow products that do not have alcohol listed as one of the first three ingredients. In any case, it is always best if you refrain from bringing any alcohol-based products with you.
Here is the list of some common items you might want to consider:
- Shaving cream
- Feminine hygiene products
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Pump hair spray styling products
Regardless of the initial duration of your stay, you might want to bring toiletries to last you a month. You never know whether you will need to stay at the treatment center for a week, two weeks, or a month. If you happen to be staying for more than a month, you can always requisition more supplies before they run out. You may also want to consider does FMLA cover rehab at your treatment center. If it does not, you may want to opt for a shorter stay, meaning that you will not need 30 days’ worth of supplies.
Aside from these items, you may be able to bring even more of your possessions with you. However, some of them might be restricted by the center’s policy.
Items that might be restricted within drug rehab New Lexington OH programs
As mentioned previously, every single rehab center New Lexington OH has its own rules and regulations that concern items that you can bring with you. These restrictions are in place to ensure that you are safe while attending rehab, as well as to create the best possible environment for your recovery.
Here are the items that might (or might not) be restricted:
- Electric razors/disposable razors. As you might imagine, these items can be quite dangerous. While some treatment centers might allow disposable razors, it is safe to assume that you can’t bring them with you.
- Cigarettes/tobacco products. Most centers have quite lenient rules concerning tobacco products, but they impose some limitations on how much of them you can bring.
- Over-the-counter medications, including vitamins. Some treatment centers completely prohibit these, while others allow them if they are new and unopened.
- Cell phones/laptops. Most rehab centers in New Lexington OH allow partial use of these devices. What this means is that their use might be restricted, and you will have access to them at pre-determined times. Some centers prohibit them completely.
- MP3 players. Any device that has access to the internet and/or has speakers is usually prohibited. That being said, some treatment centers might allow you to bring such devices with you.
- Nail clippers. Most centers ban these, as they are a safety hazard. However, some might allow you to bring them.
- Decorative items. Similar to clothing items, these can be heavily regulated. Your treatment center will usually allow you to bring your own bedding and pillows, however.
Some treatment centers even allow their patients to bring cameras with them, provided they do not have access to the internet. Due to a large discrepancy between various centers, it is always a good idea to get in touch with them before you start packing anything.
Aside from items that you might want to bring, there are also items that you might want to leave at home.
Items you might want to leave at home
Every rehab New Lexington OH center has a “black list”. This list includes all the items that you will not be able to bring with you. These items usually present a safety/security hazard or may otherwise interfere with the course of your treatment. Therefore, the following items are banned by almost every center:
- Pornography (Sorry)
- Drugs and alcohol
- Any sort of weapon (guns, knives, scissors, etc.). Your treatment center may consider any sharp object to be a weapon.
- Food/drinks. You will have access to both at the treatment center. The primary reason you are not allowed to bring your own food and drinks is that most centers maintain a low-sugar and low-caffeine environment.
- Narcotics or prohibited prescriptions
- Sporting equipment, video games, or DVDs
- Toiletries and other products that contain alcohol
- Large electronics (TV sets, consoles, etc.)
- Electronic cigarettes
- Candles or incense
- Any revealing clothing or clothing that has references to violence, drugs, or alcohol. Clothes that exhibit profanity are not allowed either.
- Playing cards and board games. This may seem odd at first, but these items may create distractions that may interfere with the course of the treatment.
- Nail polish, including any synthetic nail products, as well as polish remover
Basically, if an item has the potential to interfere with either your own treatment or the treatment of another person, it will most likely be prohibited. Some treatment centers may lower some of the requirements but not by a mile. No treatment center will allow you to bring in weapons, drugs, or alcohol, while some might be more lenient on gaming devices. It all depends on a variety of factors, such as your treatment goals, the treatment goals of your peers, etc.
What happens if you bring prohibited items?
Most people tend to accidentally bring at least one or two prohibited items to a rehab New Lexington OH center. This is perfectly normal, and the staff at the facility will simply hold your items until you complete your treatment or someone else picks them up. That, or they will send the items back with the person who brought you to the center in the first place. Most rehabs in WV that accept Medicaid are extremely strict on their policies, and intentionally bringing prohibited items may have significant consequences. You may even be denied treatment.
It is possible to encounter some issues if you arrive at the treatment center on your own. This usually happens if you travel by plane. While most treatment centers will hold your items until you complete your rehab, some will not. You might be able to arrange for those items to be shipped back, but it is usually best to make sure you understand the policies before you pack.
Contact your rehab center in New Lexington OH for more information
Due to the fact that every single rehab New Lexington OH center has its own policies, rules, and regulations, the best course of action is to get in touch with them directly. A simple phone call may clear any misunderstandings. While you have your treatment providers on the phone, be sure to ask any other questions you might have, as well. For example, you may want to ask them, “How Can I Utilize the FMLA for Addiction Treatment?“. Never be afraid to ask as many questions as you need. The most important thing is that you completely understand the rules before you commit.