Over the past few decades, a progressive trend in healthcare has been including alternative or holistic recovery center methods into more conventional therapies. Today, many holistic addiction treatment techniques are currently being used in rehab centers across the nation.
Holistic addiction treatments are non-medicinal rehabilitation techniques used to complement conventional treatment practices. A holistic recovery center aims to bring the mind, body, and soul into alignment while concentrating on the patient’s overall well-being. Additionally, holistic addiction treatment takes care of physical symptoms of withdrawal and disease of addiction.
Is holistic addiction treatment the right treatment option for you? Read on to learn the important facts about this unique treatment and how we at Harmony Ridge Recovery Center aim to help you excel.
What Does Holistic Mean?
A continuing trend in healthcare for the past few decades has been incorporating complementary, alternative, or holistic treatment approaches into more standard therapies for a wide range of ailments. Substance abuse and addiction treatment is no exception to this, as a variety of holistic techniques are used in rehab centers around the US. The definition of holistic is relating to the idea that things should be studied as a whole and not just as a sum of their parts.
An example of holistic is health care that focuses on the health of the entire body and mind and not just parts of the body. Each person will have a different experience of mental illness and a path to recovery that is influenced by their age, gender, culture, heritage, language, faith, sexual and gender identity, relationship status, life experience and beliefs.
Example of Holistic Addiction Treatment
Holistic therapy encompasses several different aspects of healthy living, from exercise to meditation. Some of the main therapies include:
A healthy body is a key aspect of addiction recovery. Helping recovering addicts focus on proper nutrition provides tangible healing. Recovering addicts can start fresh and give their bodies the nutrition they need to overcome their addiction.
Exercise and Recreational Therapy
Daily exercise can help build routine, relieve stress and strengthen the body. Exercise is an important part of many holistic addiction treatment. Activities vary from center to center, but some offer rock-climbing, canoeing, horseback-riding or hiking.
In order to overcome their addiction, recovering addicts must have a clear mind. Guided meditation is an important part of many holistic treatment programs. Many centers also offer yoga and tai chi as meditative practices to help residents increase focus and clarity of mind.
Massage and Acupuncture
Helping to relieve stress and relax the body, massage is often used in holistic treatment therapy. Acupuncture is also used to help restore balance to an addict’s body after extended substance abuse.
The most effective holistic recovery programs build on traditional addiction treatment methods. Finding the right programs that work for you can help get your recovery on the right track. When all of these complementary therapies come together for holistic healing, a person is much more likely to experience wellness on a deeper level that allows for a more joyful and truly healthy way of living.
Traditional techniques, coupled with holistic methods, include:
- Comprehensive medical care
- Medically assisted detoxification
- Individual mental health counseling
Many recovering addicts also attend 12-step groups like Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous for emotional support.
Our Approach To Holistic Addiction Treatment
By employing various types of treatment therapies, patients become educated about their addiction and the underlying factors that had fueled it. These holistic and comprehensive approaches to healing allow each patient the knowledge to succeed in conquering their triggers and help them lead a lifestyle of sobriety.
Our team here at Harmony Ridge Recovery Center believes in empowering our patients living with addiction and providing each of them with the time needed to restore their confidence and trust.
We strive to transform our patients into the positive, happy, and healthy people that they always were, but had got lost at some point. Our treatment specialist’s purpose is to help those who are struggling with addiction in getting back on the right track!
Our comprehensive-holistic approach to addiction therapy includes:
- 24-hour medical supervision and care
- Adventure therapy
- Aftercare and transition planning
- Art therapy
- Biofeedback therapy
- Career and education assistance
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- In-house gym time and sports activities
- Job placement and interview preparation
- Legal assistance for probation and court-ordered treatment management
- Recreational activities (hiking, biking, kayaking, gaming/arcades, pool time, fishing)
Effectiveness Of Holistic Techniques In Addiction Treatment
People who are looking into holistic recovery center programs might find it challenging to find evidence backing the efficacy of these treatments. There has not been a lot of research on many holistic therapies, and the research that has been done is usually inconclusive. Because of this reason, the effectiveness of the methods in maintaining permanent recovery from addiction is still mostly unknown, and it is rarely debated.
In some instances, holistic recovery center treatments could attract individuals who might not be interested in conventional therapies. This form of treatment gets them more comfortable with residential treatment and makes them more willing to try other methods. Studies have shown that these methods provide a higher probability of long-term recovery.
Also, using these treatments can help patients feel more at ease, more productive in their treatment journey, and are more able to cope with the difficulties of detox. For these purposes, holistic recovery center practices are a positive addition to more evidence-based therapies.
A Holistic Lifestyle After Addiction Treatment
When it comes to holistic health we are looking beyond the physical body and are addressing physical, emotional, social, spiritual, and intellectual health. As such, all of these aspects of holistic health are what enable a person to truly live each day in the healthiest, happiest way possible and if one area if compromised, most likely other areas will be as well. Holistic living enables you to balance out your life in a variety of areas like your relationships, health, finances and spirituality so that you are healthier, happier and living a more fulfilling life. More financial security, romance, spiritual connection and a healthier body are just the tip of the iceberg with holistic living.
- Sleep for 8 hours each night. This will allow your body to truly rest and repair from the day.
- Eat a nutrient dense diet that is high in plant-based foods and organic/pastured animal products.
- Maintain a balanced blood sugar by eating meals and snacks that contain fat, carbohydrates, and protein every 3-4 hours.
- Move your body for 30 minutes each day. While every person’s exercise routine will be different, everyone can benefit from at least 30 minutes of movement each day.
- Limit processed foods and hydrogenated oils which are highly inflammatory and can increase risk of chronic disease.
- Always keep your mind active by seeking out learning opportunities and problem solving practices that challenge your brain.
- Consume nutrient dense foods that are high in antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids that will help reduce overall inflammation and support cognitive function.
- Avoid consuming recreational and mind altering drugs.
- Improve gut health with gut healing foods like bone broth and prebiotic and probiotic rich foods. Since the brain is directly connected to the gut a healthy gut is essential for a healthy mind.
- Seek out therapy when needed. Therapy is an essential part of supporting our emotional health and should be utilized whenever necessary.
- Practice mindfulness and stress reduction habits that can help you better manage life’s daily stressors.
- Keep a journal to record your thoughts and feelings. Also, use your journal to record what you are grateful for as it can help bring positivity into times of stress.
Get Help Today At Harmony Ridge
Studies have shown that approximately 4 out of 10 adults in the U.S. use complementary and alternative medicine, and the trend seems to be growing. This method is designed to treat the entire person and improve overall well-being instead of only targeting a particular element of an individual’s behaviors or symptoms.
Holistic recovery center approaches to addiction treatment should both reduce isolated addictive behaviors and address a broad set of factors that prompted them. The important thing to know is that anyone can benefit from holistic living and it appeals to many people who are looking to enrich their lives regardless of their age, ability, life circumstances or belief system. Therefore, you can practice this type of living to heal your body, reconnect with your spirit, calm your mind and maintain good health.
If you or a loved one could benefit from holistic addiction treatment along with other complementary forms of therapy, don’t hesitate any longer. Contact us today at Harmony Ridge Recovery Center and allow our team to get you the answers you need to make a life-changing choice!